Wednesday, March 23, 2011

You Are My Sunshine


When I was little my mom would give me a bath and afterwards pull me out of the tub wrap me in a big towel and rock my in her lap while singing:

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You’ll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don’t take my sunshine away

I have found myself singing that song obviously more often in the last four months than I ever have before, and for good reason, I have a sunshine to sing it to now. But the one line in the song I realized was false tonight. It says “you’ll never know dear, how much I love you” but as of today I realize I do know how much my mom loves me, because I know how much I love Stella.

I love that she laughs at me and that when I talk she looks in my direction.

I love that she goes to bed so well, but hate that it’s so early, because all I want to do is play with her.

I love that I felt guilty dropping you off at daycare on my day off, because I’ve never had a reason to feel that kind of guilt before.

I love that you have blue eyes like you daddy, and that your cheeks are wonderfully soft and chubby, and great for kissing.

I love that I spend my free time reading about how to make your life easier and how to play with you so that you’re smart.

I love that my prayers consist of asking God for your health, safety, and happiness.

I love that I now know how much my mom loves me because of how I love you.


I love knowing that someday you'll be able to realize how much I love you.

2 comments:

  1. I sing that song to Claire all the time because my Mom used to sing it to me. But I had to change the words because the original is too sad. I sing:

    You are my sunshine, my shining sunshine
    You make me happy every day
    You'll always know dear how much I love you
    Please don't take my sunshine away

    ReplyDelete
  2. Songs have amazing power. Our song is Hush Little Baby... Cause my mom sang it to me.. If Mitch is upset or wakes in the middle of the night I can sing that song and he starts to calm instantly. I love the last verse cause it mentions daddy too. It's sweet how when you start something at birth they still react to it. Love it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete