Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Trip to the ER

So like I said before I am trying to not be the typical first pregnancy lady with a million questions and another million reasons to go running off to the hospital every five minutes... Well that didn't last long.

First, in my defense I thought it was appendicitis... didn't even really consider it being something with the baby.

The Saturday night before Michael and I left on vacation, a 15 hour car ride to South Carolina, we did the packing and some major house cleaning as I like to return to a clean house. About 7:30PM I started to get a very sharp pain right behind my belly button. About 9:30PM it was still there.

The thoughts racing through my head were as followed: I need to get this looked at before the long car ride. I don't want to be in South Carolina and have to visit the hospital. I need to talk to a professional. Is it just gas? Should I be worried. Why is it still hurting?

So I called the doctor hot-line and never got an answer back... "Mikey I think I need to go to the ER"

So after blood work, an IV of saline, a mortifying pelvic exam, and an ultrasound they sent me home with round ligament pain. Worthless two hours and I felt so ridiculous! Everyone was reassuring me that it was better to be safe than sorry. . . I guess I'm ultimately glad it wasn't anything too major.

Due to the lack of sleep the night prior to leaving, the 15 hour car ride resulted in a huge migraine, three vomit pit stops, a full up-chuck cup, and two really swollen feet.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Aubrey! That sounds terrible! I'm so sorry. I'm so glad it wasn't anything major, but it sounds scary. And you should definitely lean on the side of caution. As for the "mortifying pelvic exam"... there will come a time when you lose all modesty, and it's not too far off! Fortunately, after some time, it comes back...a little. After a baby, pelvic exams are easy peezy.

    ReplyDelete